Tungsten, molybdenum and heatspreader materials
Processed products, etc.
Various processed products (Products for special applications)
High-density (radiation shields/weights) heavy metals
Heavy metal alloy composed primarily of tungsten. Heavy metals manufactured by our advanced powder metallurgy feature very high density and excellent radiation shielding as well as mechanical strength and machining/processing characteristics. These metals have been well accepted as alternative materials of lead that has adverse impact on environment. They are also used for various weights and rotors and for their excellent shielding performance, in a variety of fields including medical equipment and nuclear power plants.
●Features of heavy metal
- High density
- Material having a density about two times that of copper and iron and is suitable for rotors and weights. In particular, it is very suitable for applications where a certain weight is required in a limited space and is well accepted to replace lead.
- Radiation shielding properties
- Compared with other metals, our heavy metals are far superior in terms of absorption of high-energy beams and radiation. They have extremely low gas emissions in high vacuum and are superior in mechanical strength and processing workability. They are ideal materials for such applications as medical equipment, nuclear power plants and other radiation shielding applications.
- Environmental properties
- Alloys with a small amount of nickel, iron, copper, etc. added to tungsten that is the main component are highly evaluated as environment-friendly material. Unlike lead, they are not resolved in water and have high oxidation performance.
- Mechanical strength
- Our heavy metals have high mechanical strength to make these metals suitable for various shapes of weights and shafts that require specially high strength. For their high rigidity, our heavy metals work well in preventing chattering of holders and chucks of tools.
- Machining/processing characteristics
- While pure tungsten is very difficult to machine or process, our heavy metals, while primarily composed of tungsten, are easy to machine with cemented carbide tools. Machining by milling machines and end mills and tapping are also possible. As their melting point is high, these heavy metals are also employed as high-temperature furnace members.
- Corrosion resistance/nonmagnetic property
- You can select one from a wide variety of products that is most suitable for your application. ST Series featuring high corrosion resistance at high temperatures and high humidity and a type that is not magnetic. We offer most suitable materials according to needs of customers.
●Typical properties of heavy metal
|Coefficient of linear
★Plastic heavy metal ☆Corrosion resistant heavy metal (ST Series)
※The above values may vary depending on production conditions.
★Plastic heavy metal
A new material type that allows not only cutting, but plastic processing such as forging and rolling has been added.
Products of complicated shapes can be made at lower cost. The specific gravity is close to that of lead to make this type most suitable as environment-friendly material to replace lead.
☆Corrosion resistant heavy metal (ST Series)
A new type of heavy metal having excellent corrosion resistance at high temperatures and high humidity while maintaining excellent characteristics of heavy metal has been developed.
It maintains this excellent corrosion resistance not only on the surface but also inside of alloys, exhibiting this performance on processed products.
The use of this material can eliminate rust preventive treatment such as Ni plating.
Radiation shielding application
Heavy metal exhibits a very high performance in shielding proton beams, electron beams and radiation due to its high density. The shielding performance equivalent to lead can be achieved with 60% of the thickness. Also since this metal can be processed to complicated shapes, it is an ideal material to make a variety of radiation shield equipment more compact. It is employed as shielding material used inside nuclear power plants and cancer treatment equipment.
<Examples of application>
Shield material in nuclear power plant
Shield capsule for isotope
Shield products for high energy
Shielding effect of heavy metal
|Isotope||γ ray energy
|1/2 damping thickness
|1/10 damping thickness
Weight and rotor applications
Heavy metal primarily composed of tungsten has a high density property, excels in mechanical strength and good machinability. These features make the heavy metal suitable for balancers used to control weights. Also since the high density provides a high moment of inertia, it is suitable to make rotors more compact.
<Examples of application>
Weight for watches
Weight for golf clubs
Balancer for speed meters
Weight for darts and lures
Vibration-isolating material for cutting tools
Radiation shielding material Heavy metal sheets (Tungsten sheets)
Advanced polymer material primarily composed of tungsten having high density and high radiation shielding performance. Since no lead is used at all, this is a clean material.
It has about the same elasticity and flexibility as ordinary rubber so it can easily be cut according to places and shapes to use.
Since if it comes in contact with foods, it is harmless, it can be used as sheets for food inspection, as well as for radiation shielding in places where flexibility is required, weights, vibration absorbing products (dampers) and noise-shielding sheets.
(Standard size 295 x 295 x 1.0 m. Larger sizes are also available upon request.)
<Examples of application>
Radiation shielding parts requiring elasticity and flexibility
Weight parts requiring elasticity and flexibility
Radiation shielding parts requiring on-site processing to various shapes
●Mechanical and thermal properties
|Mechanical Properties||Thermal Properties|
(Heat and chemical
●Heat and chemical resistance
|Heat resistance||Chemical resistance|
|HMS-09C||Usable under 100℃||Resistant to alcohol, acid and alkali|
|HMS-09F||Usable under 200℃||Resistant to organic solvents, alcohol, acid and weak alkali|
●X ray shielding performance
※Data from the sheet having a specific gravity of 4.2.
●Resistance to radiation (Upper section: HMS-09C, lower section: HMS-09F)
※Irradiation by 60Co ray source
Weights and rotors Heavy metal grits
Heavy metal alloy having particle diameter from 150 to 500 μm. By charging it to a desired mold, you can put only a required amount to a required place.
When filled in a bag or case, they can be used in complicated places that are difficult to shield with plates or sheets and when used in close contact with the body, they can protect the body from medical radiation.